Wednesday, April 20, 2011

M·A·C Prep + Prime Vibrancy Eye Primer

I'm always game for trying a new eye primer, so when I saw recently that M·A·C had introduced Prep + Prime Vibrancy Eye Primer ($30), I wanted to try it. I'm glad I purchased it!

Called an instant eye prep, "this quick fix reduces the look of puffy eyes and under-eye shadows while imparting a bright natural radiance to the entire eye area." The company says it perfectly primes the eye for makeup. M·A·C says that if you use it regularly, you will see those instant benefits become more permanent. Sounds great, right?

I haven't used it long enough to tell you whether it reduces puffiness or permanently reduces shadows - that's a tall order. It does have caffeine in it, which is a diuretic and will help reduce puffiness, but the effects are transient. What I can tell you is that it has a host of great ingredients, and I love the effect it provides.

The pump dispenser is very convenient, and it's easy to use. Unlike other pumps, this one is fairly easy to control, so you can dispense only what you need, without wasting product. The texture is a lightweight cream that blends like a dream. It has a slight pink tint when you look at it in a tiny drop in your palm, but that blends into a neutral, almost transparent white shade in the palm (should you decide to blend it there, which you would do only out of curiosity). On my skin, it disappears - except for the beautiful radiance it leaves behind.

I've used it under my eyes, on my lids, and up to my brows. It is easy on the skin, meaning I don't feel it at all. It is a lovely base for my normal primer, corrector, concealer, or a shadow. It adheres to the skin well and prevents creasing of cream products applied over it. It also provides a great base for powder products. That's what we expect from great primers.

The ingredient list is a who's who of skin care, including dimethicone, shea butter, sodium hyaluronate, algae extract, ginkgo biloba leaf extract, chamomile, peptides, and many other beneficial ingredients. It is very moisturizing without leaving any kind of oil slick on the lids - which is impressive. It does have the humectant butylene glycol in it. Butylene glycol does irritate some skin, particularly around the eyes, but my sensitive skin has been unaffected.

The radiance it provides is the most exciting feature of Prep + Prime Vibrancy Eye Primer. It adds a glow, which is amazing since it disappears into the skin. I am excited about my new primer. I also purchased the new Prep + Prime Highlighter. I'll tell you about it soon.

You can find Prep + Prime Vibrancy Eye Primer at M·A·C's Web site or M·A·C counters everywhere. Have you tried it?

Photo courtesy of M·A·C

6 comments:

lovethescents said...

I've only used one primer, ever, and didn't care for it. I'll check this one out tomorrow at the MAC counter. I hope it works as well for me!

Charlestongirl said...

Make sure you can use a hydrdating primer, Lovethescents. I can, with my dry skin, but I'm not sure about others. If you go to the counter, though, you can try it. I ordered online.

lovethescents said...

At the moment, I'm using Isomers R Pur for eyes, which absorbs verrrrrry quickly. I'll see how it looks with this primer today. Thanks for the warning, though! :-)

Unknown said...

That's sounds really interesting. I've missed a lot of sleep recently so I really like the idea of adding a little something to pep up the eye area. Thanks for the review,
Jane x

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jane!

Thanks for the comment. I don't think this primer has enough pigment to make up for serious sleep deprivation. Like the new EL one, it's very lightly tinted.

Anonymous said...

This product sound interesting but dimethicone is NOT good for the skin!
Alice