Thursday, May 5, 2011

NARS Exotic Dance Duo Eye Shadow for Summer 2011

I'm a pushover for neutrals, which is why I was intrigued with Exotic Dance Duo Eye Shadow ($33). Not only do I love neutrals, I adore golden shades. You can imagine my reaction when I read this...

A pairing of metallic white with silver sheen and metallic gold, creates a dazzling duo eyeshadow. The shimmering hues can each be worn alone or layered.

I ordered Exotic Dance the minute I saw the collection at the NARS Web site. I did not purchase the peacock of the summer collection, the Cap Ferrat Trio. It looked too bright for me.

Am I happy with Exotic Dance? A qualified yes! The golden shade is beautiful. So is the shimmering white, with one caveat. It takes some work to get an even application of the white shade. I don't know whether my issue - and I can only know if it's my issue or a more general problem - seems symptomatic of a quality control or production issue with some of the newest NARS powder eye shadows. I have to work pretty hard to get an even application of the white shade. At least I can, and when I do, I'm a happy gal! I need to have a heart-to-heart with a trusted NARS representative.

Here is a swatch photo of the duo. Taken in full sun, it shows the gorgeous golden glow of the shimmering gold shade. It's worth the price of admission. If you have ever taken a swatch photo, you can probably see that I worked hard to get a decent, even swatch of the shimmering white. I painted and painted with my sponge-tipped applicator, and I succeeded. My arm had no primer on it, just a tiny bit of moisturizer, but it was a little harder than it should have been. The white is easier to use when it's layered over the gold, which brings me to Hayley Reinhart.

Did you see American Idol last night? Haley Reinhart sang a version of "House of the Rising Sun" that won her the night. She's currently my choice to win the whole competition. She was rocking a gold eye. She could have created it with Exotic Dance. Her whole lid (lower and crease) was a sexy gold that was highlighted in the center. She also wore a darker brown in the outer crease. Her eye makeup was exquisite. If you apply the gold in this duo in the same way, use any golden brown in the crease from center to the outer corner and swept onto the outer lower lid, and them layer the silvery white over the gold in the center of the lid, you too will have Hayley's look. It was stunning. I love her talent, but last night, I was just as impressed with her eye makeup. Just click on her photo to enlarge it.

You can purchase the latest NARS makeup, including Exotic Dance, at the NARS Web site and NARS counters. I bought mine online.

Photo at top courtesy of NARS; Hayley's photo courtesy of Frank Micelotta/Fox

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your reviews are of such high quality and are so well-written; I think great pictures would really put your blog over the top and give some well-deserved illustration to your words. Taking larger, higher-resolution photos with a better camera (or even your current camera, but on a macro setting) would be an excellent next step.

Charlestongirl said...

New camera on the horizon. My SLR (with a bazillion lenses) is not digital, and the camera I am using has no macro lens. Sorry the photos disappoint you, but thanks for the kind words. :)

It's a good thing this is a hobby!

makeup magpie said...

I saw her makeup last night and thought it looked great! Love the pretty shades of the Exotic Dance duo :) Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

I have this compact and the swatch photos are dead on to me - way better than the website. Do you get a better swatch in Allure? Sure, but they have such high-tech digital publishing that they can produce better swatches. Now, it could be that I have the same skin tone and I swatched it on my skin for comparison, but your writing is so good that to me, it evokes the colors perfectly. You write like Jeffrey Steingarten writes about food in Vogue!

lovethescents said...

Hi Charlestongirl! I do love metallics and I love gold. At the moment, I own two golds: MAC Goldmine and YSL Gold Leaf. Your swatch of the gold in this NARS looks similar in colour to the YSL I have, I think....but, in terms of colour only, how does this NARS gold compare to the Edward Bess Mirage you tried a few weeks ago? I ask because I don't need duplicates of gold colours. Thank you so much for your help and advice! :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Makeup Magpie!

She did look great. Very pro makeup job!

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, thank you, Anonymous. That just made me hungry. :)

Lovethescents, I will try to get a comparison swatch photo for you and e-mail it.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi everyone, I am going to post the comparison photo I sent to Lovethescents on Twitter. You will see that the NARS shade is antique gold, while the EB Mirage shade is pure gold.

Hayley was in antique gold last night. Gorgeous gal!

lovethescents said...

Thank you so much for the swatch comparison!

pinkribbons said...

Before your review, I thought this was just a boring duo. But that gold shadow is to die for! I think NARS has released a fab range of eyeshadows in this collection. I want Dogon and Cap Ferret trio too.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Pinkribbons!

This collection does have a nice range - something for everyone. I guess I'm drawn to the "boring" ones. To me, this was the most attractive of the bunch. You can wear those gorgeous blues and greens! I have to keep them in my clothing. :)

Heather Elyse said...

I love neutrals and i loved Haleys makeup on idol the other night! it was so gorgeous! i love how you compared it to the nars shadow! I am going to have to pick this duo up!

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, LovelyMissMakeup!

Check out Sabrina's photos today at The Beauty Look Book. You will want it even more.

Coco said...

Found your site while doing a Google search for reviews on this NARS duo. After reading your words, I am sold! You helped me imagine how this could be used and how nice it could look. Great blog!