Monday, May 14, 2012

Jo Malone Plum Blossom Cologne

Have you ever seen a prettier Jo Malone advertisement? The photography for Jo Malone's new, limited-edition Plum Blossom Cologne ($55 or $110) is stunning - as is the fragrance.

The cerise splashes of plum blossom herald the promise of warmer days. Like nature’s fluttering rosettes, pinned to arching boughs. Architectural against the sunlit sky.

Plum Blossom captures the optimism of these blush-ruffle flowers. Opening with the fruitful freshness of yellow plum, its floral heart blooms on a background of creamy sandalwood and clean, white musk. It's a pure delight worn solo, but also perfect for fragrance layering.

Try adding Nectarine Blossom & Honey’s youthful sweetness of succulent fruits and warm honey to amplify Plum Blossom’s juicy, airy purity. The result will be tender and delicious.

Lord only knows how, but I found (and purchased) a pre-release bottle on eBay. I told you about Plum Blossom in March. You can see that feature at this link, which shows the pretty bottle. I described my impressions there, and I don't see much sense in repeating them. Plum Blossom Cologne is light and office-appropriate (there I go, using that term again!).

Plum Blossoms are a beloved subject in the traditional paintings of East Asia - and a fitting inspiration for the beauty of Plum Blossom Cologne. In China, plum trees bloom much earlier than they do in the United States. In East Asia, plum blossoms are seen as a symbol of winter's end and a harbinger of spring - a symbol for resilience and perseverance in the face of the adversity of harsh winter weather. They are early bloomers here too. Adding to the pink glory of early spring, plum trees are widely appreciated for their short seasonal displays. The white plum blossom design on the Plum Blossom Cologne bottle could only have been prettier if it had been pink, as it appears above.

Plum Blossom is available at Jo Malone Boutiques, jomalone.com, Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, and selected Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale’s, and Nordstrom stores nationwide. It's available exclusively at Holt Renfrew in Canada.

Photo courtesy of Jo Malone

7 comments:

Shelnmum said...

Hi CG
Have you tried the L'Occitane Plum Blossom line? If so, are they similar?

Eileen said...

Hi Sheinmum,

On my skin, L'Occitane's pretty plum is sweet, flowery, and girlish. When I tried the Jo Malone plum this past weekend, the musk came through loud and clear on my skin and gave it a somewhat dirty, earthy scent. It's pretty, but it has a bit of edge to it--at least, on me it does. Ultimately, how a scent will smell depends on your particular body chemistry, but the two scents seem quite different in composition and give a different result.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Shelnmum,

No, I haven't had the opportunity to stop by a L'Occitane shop. I hear it's lovely. I wish I could tell you. Maybe I can get Joey (Glowy Joey Bunny) to answer. She works for L'Occitane now.

Charlestongirl said...

Yep, Eileen, chemistry for sure. On my, it's not dirty or earthy. It's a very fresh floral. I have been wearing it a lot - such a nice scent to wear to work. I know I can spray with abandon, without offending anyone.

Shelnmum said...

Hi Eileen
thanks! I already have the L'Occitane Plum Blossom EDT. I will pop by a JM store to try the JM one before I decide :-)

Cindy's Societal said...

I sniffed this over the weekend but passed, opting for White Lilac & rhubarb instead. it was so hard to choose tjough, I like both scents!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Cindy!

You selected my fave of all the four latest. Nice!