Friday, June 29, 2012

Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush in Brume d'Or from the Bombay Express de Chanel Collection for Summer 2012

Bombay Express de Chanel is a lavish, limited-edition makeup collection that was inspired by an opulent vision of India. Each year, the Chanel Métiers d’Art fashion show celebrates the exceptional talent of the Métiers Houses, pairing their expertise with a select destination. This year, Bombay Express de Chanel showcases a specific vision of India - the lavish, luxurious one. The Creative Director of Chanel Makeup, Peter Philips, has intensified the shades of iconic Indian makeup to give it a character that will appeal to many.

Brume d'Or Joues Contraste Powder Blush ($43) is a sunny earth tone that will flatter  your cheeks with a warm glow. I ordered my Bombay Express pieces from Chanel.com, and I relied on Chanel's photo above to select the shade. It's actually a different color - much more brown and less rose, and much darker than I expected.

It's a nice brown shade - one that I can wear as a bronzer on my very fair skin - or a neutral blush. For my swatch photos, I applied it very heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator at the top of my arm, and I used a dense blush brush for the larger swatch below. I took my photos in full, morning sun.

I can see some rose in the shade, but not much. Brume d'Or will be most loved, I think, by gals with warm-toned skin. It has a slight shimmer. I haven't used it enough to know if that shimmer is an overspray.

When I apply it, I have to ease up on the brush and apply it extremely lightly. It does warm up my complexion, a goal of many makeup artists. Is it the best Chanel blush for me - or even one of the best? No, but I'm glad to have it, even if it's only for its retrospective value (the makeup museum is getting full!).

I know you will look at these photos and think it's orange (brown + red). It's not orange when applied properly, but it's definitely a warm brown. Chanel suggests you wear it with Rouge Coco Shine, no doubt to leave the emphasis on the face, not the lips. I do love seeing it with my new Shade #73, Chic.

Today, you can order it from the Chanel Web site. At one point, the Chanel Boutiques told me they expected it, but no one has called me. They are usually pretty good about that, so I'm not sure what's up with the boutiques.

I purchased Routes des Indes de Chanel Illuminating Powder and will show you the shimmering gold later today. It's pricey, but gorgeous. Chanel devotees will want it.

Photos at top courtesy of Chanel; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Rads said...

I was waiting for reviews on this one! I still can't decide, though..it looks pretty on your skin, but I don't know how it would translate on my much darker skin tone :(

Nemo said...

I have a very fair skin with rosy tones, gray/blue/green eyes and honey blonde hair. I bought the Brume d'or and I love it. It is like a darker peach. Beautiful and sexy. I also bought the Diwali polish. Love it, too.

Eileen said...

I knew out the gate that the yellow tones of Bombay Express were not for me, but what took me by surprise was how different the products are in real life from the promo pictures. Your JC is a good example of that. Route Des Indes (highlighter) is also significantly different from its promo picture. In the promo it looks similar to Lumière Sculptée from last year. In real life it is a sparkly, metallic gold. It's like looking at before and after photoshopped pictures of celebrities! LOL That aside, it is a beautiful collection. I'm looking forward to reading your review on it, Charlestongirl.

Nancy Pierson said...

I am light skin NW20 and so surprised how pretty that blush looks on. When I first opened my box I thought for sure I would have to return it. I Love it...... I almost did not even try it on when I looked at ,,,, thinking it would be awful. I am still having a tuff time wondering if I should keep Bombay Highlighter , its pretty but I am not sure if it is different enough from my JC Or Help! What do you think?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rads,

I think it would be better on dark skin tones than it is on me.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nemo,

It does look peachy on me when applied lightly - a nice summer shade!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I was blown away by how different the promo photos were from reality. On the other hand, the highlighter is even prettier than I expected.

Charlestongirl said...

I'd keep it, Nancy. I LOVE it. Will try to feature it tonight. I have the photos, but need to finish "real work" first.

lovethescents said...

Well my goodness, thank you for saving us all time and money! Looking at the promo, I would have thought I'd love that blush. Looking at your swatch, I realize I don't need it at all.

Thanks again to you, Charlestongirl, for saving us the trouble :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Lovethescents! :)

yesplease1816 said...

Oh no! If I know whats good for me, I will avoid your review of the Routes des Indes de Chanel Illuminating Powder at all costs!!! I wanted it SO bad, but I do think $80 is way too much for a highlighting powder...which is why I decided to go with the more "affordable" Lumiere D'Artifices Beiges Illuminating Powder instead :P I do really want the Routes des Indes one though....sigh

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Yesplease!

I didn't get it written today, but I'll post it early tomorrow. Have the photos, but not the words. I REALLY like it - more than I anticipated.