Monday, June 25, 2012

Chanel Rouge Coco in Caractère from Les Essentials de Chanel for Fall 2012

Rouge Coco ($39) is Chanel's signature lipstick, a modern interpretation of classic crème lip color that pays homage to the rich life and legacy of Coco Chanel. The lightweight lip color glides on for easy application and features Chanel's "Hydratendre" complex to help soften, soothe, and condition the lips, even boosting their ability to hold in moisture, for a plumper, smoother, and healthier-looking appearance.

The range of wearable shades with full-coverage finishes, from matte to pearl to soft shimmer, has a new sister, Caractère. I had no plans to purchase it. I like my lipsticks with a little more sheerness, but when I saw the brown-hued plum, or mauve, shade, I had to have it. Caractère (#45) is a "me color."

I took many swatch photos - all in direct sun, but some with a more pronounced angle to the sun. Those show the beautiful shine that direct light evokes. Other photos, such as the one above, display the shade's rich gleam.

I think of Caractère as a year-round color, but others may see it as perfect for fall, when we start to add richness to our looks to greet crisp days and cooling nights. As much as I love it, I'm going to put this shade away until September so that I'll have the perfect color to take me into autumn.

Chanel's Fall 2012 Collection is arriving at more and more stores with each passing day. Call your favorite Chanel counter before you go - just to make sure they have the collection. If you need help, I've provided a Neiman Marcus contact in the comments. If you are in or near New York, you can find the collection at  Bergdorf Goodman. I think they received it first.

Photo at top courtesy of Chanel; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

13 comments:

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

me me me me me me me too!
LOVE this color- makes me want to go somewhere the leaves are changing- put on a fisherman's knit sweater and stroll thru the foliage :)

Elysse said...

It's a beautiful shade, but I agree with you. It's rather muted and more autumn appropriate. Bring on the brighter colours for now!

Eileen said...

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this in person and, when I swatched it, I knew this would be my go-to for deep autumn. Into my pre-order bag it went! When I first saw this color in the promo, I was concerned that it would be too edgy for me, but that was not the case at all. It is a rich plum that is warmer on my lips than the promo picture suggests and, although it is dark, because it is a Rouge Coco formula, it doesn't look heavy.

Although the quad wasn't for me, there are so many other gorgeous products in Les Essentiels that capture the transitional season so perfectly. But, as Odyssey said, "Bring on the brighter colors for now!" It's summertime :-)

Nemo said...

Now that's more like it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi LSBD!

I LOVE this color too. I like it now, but it will be oh so gorgeous in the fall.

Charlestongirl said...

No denying, Odyssey, that lighter and brighter is in for summer.

Charlestongirl said...

Totally agree, Eileen. This is a heart-stopping color. The photo doesn't do it justice. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo, isn't it pretty? Will you be buying it?

poddygirl said...

I stopped in at my local Lord & Taylor last Thursday to peruse the new items for fall. My favorite SA did a quick application of the new quad, highlighing powder, bronzer and this lipstick. Absolutely stunning! She wasn't sure if the lippie was limited or not - but if it is you can rest assured I will be getting backups :)

Jo said...

I was at Nordstrom yesterday and they had most of the collection. Not the highlighter. I tried this lipstick and I like it on me but I guess I am still in summer mode. I didn't get it but I may go back for it. I do tend to like sheerer shades though. I bought the Rose Initiale blush, which I love and am wearing today, along with Sweet Beige gloss which looks great with the blush. There's something special about this gloss. I also bought Vertigo and Frenzy nail polishes.

Rosemary said...

I am not a "nude lip" girl at all. I love color, I love pinks, plums, and reds. This looks very pretty.

I wonder, CG if it is very much like Chanel's Rouge Double Intensite in Rose Topaz. You've reviewed that one, and I own it. The Rouge Double Intensites are my favorite Chanel lip product. I have at least six of them, and love the fact that I can put one on, and it lasts for the majority of the day.

Since I have Rose Topaz, I have to wonder if I need this.

Oh, and thanks to you CG, I am having second thoughts about Rose Initiale. I may add it to my list of must-haves for fall. :)

Rosemary

Charlestongirl said...

Oops, forgot to give you a contact! Call Loula Ayoub at (703) 761-1600, extension 3230 and tell her I sent you. She will take good care of you.

Tatiana said...

That looks lovely! I will have to check it out in person, soon! Thanks for creating a lemming!