Sunday, December 16, 2012

Guerlain Rouge Automatique Hydrating Long-Lasting Lip Colour from the Spring 2013 Color Collection

Guerlain introduced two new Rouge Automatique Hydrating Long-Lasting Lip Colours ($35) from the Spring Color Collection for 2013. I'll feature them tonight and show you the new Shine Automatiques tomorrow. They are all gorgeous and have signaled that pink (maybe peachy pink) is the it color for spring.

The two lipsticks shown above are Ballade (#600), shown at right, and Romance (#601), shown at left. One is warm; the other is cool. Both are shiny, sheer, and stunning. Although they are described as nude shades by Guerlain, I see pink.

The Rouge Automatique color emerges from the gold tube when you slide a lever, which opens the cap and reveals the color bullet. You can push the lever up only as far as you need to use the lipstick without breaking it.

“Lipstick is an accessory — you should have fun with it,” said Creative Director Olivier Echaudemaison of both the color and the way it is accessed. He noted that Rouge Automatique is intended to be a midpoint between the brand’s sophisticated Rouge G and the classic KissKiss lipsticks - both of which I love, but with KissKiss being my favorite of the two.

The finish and performance offer shine and a long last (up to three hours), according to Isabelle Hébant, who was the Group Manager of Makeup and Marketing Development for Guerlain when Rouge Automatique was introduced. “It is intended to have a second skin effect on the lips, which is accomplished by a low gradient fusion point - when the formula touches the lips, it becomes liquid,” she said of the brand’s proprietary Crystal Pigment technology. “This formula involves pigments encapsulated in glass, which makes colors true and vivid."

I took swatch photos of these two new lipsticks in full sun.  Ballade, #600, a warm pink-toned peach is shown at the top of my arm, with the pure pink Romance, #601, below. How could anyone choose between them?

I certainly couldn't. These new Guerlain lipsticks will be mainstays in my makeup rotation - starting now. I purchased mine from the Guerlain Boutique in Las Vegas - then I purchased a second set from Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie. Think I love them?

There are two new Shine Automatiques. I'll show you them tomorrow. There will be more to come this week from Guerlain Spring 2013.

Update 12/17: The Shine Automatique feature will have to wait until I get home from work. I've mixed up my photos, and have no time to verify them this morning. Sorry!

Photos at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rouge Automatique is among my favorite lipstick. They are so creamy and light, with wonderful lasting power.. The featured shades are going onto my spring wish list.

Charlestongirl said...

They are, Maureen! They feel fabulous on my lips.

AZ said...


Oh Guerlain, just take all my money why don't you! These are gorgeous. Thanks for always being ahead of the crowd on new releases!
I kinda wish Karlasugar would come back from hiatus and swatch everything so I could compare the colors to the permanent line. :(

Eileen said...

Oh, yes! These are my kind of colors in a great formula. Although not as rich and creamy as Rouge G, the Automatique formula is a very close second. Looks like I'll definitely be getting these two tomorrow. I think Guerlain really knocked it out of the park with their spring collection. I have the feeling my trip to the counter tomorrow is going to be an expensive one---but, oh, so fun :-)

Walls said...

Very pretty indeed. Can't ever go wrong with a pink lippy .

ceebee said...

Do these lipsticks have any scent? So many beautiful colors I can't wear because the smell drives me nuts.

Eileen said...

Hi Ceebee,

Rouge Automatique has practically no scent. If you put the bullet right up to your nose, you will detect a very slight fragrance, but when you apply the lipstick, you won't notice it at all.

Unknown said...

I will take one of ...make that two of each! They are beautiful!

ceebee said...

Thank you! I'm definitely going to have to pick some up. :)

angusmum1 said...

I have necer hasd the chance to try any of the products from this brand except some eyeshadow. These look beautifl and luxurious. I have what many think is a fairly large collection of makeup but compared to some, not at all. How do people own so much actually have the opportunity to use it all? How long can one keep a lipstick? Just wondering, also storage I would love to know how people deal with this. I have an antique dressing table owned by my grandma and then extra areas but it is becoming a lot, please any suggestions, storage, making use of everything

Eileen said...

Hi Angusmum,

I can't speak for others, but I am easily attracted to the next new thing and love shopping the seasonal collections. Consequently, I never use a product in its entirety before I've moved on to something else. I think that is probably true for all of us who have large makeup collections. I am not a hoarder and don't by multiples (except for mascara--current love is Guerlain Noir G), but prefer to keep my makeup fresh and modern and so, like many makeup afficianados, I am always interested in trying what's new. So, the answer to your question as to how we use it all is that we don't!

Some people don't pay any attention to expiration dates, but I follow the guidelines pretty closely. I've attached a link to a rather extensive list of those guidelines. Be aware that the guideline stated on the product package is usually a conservative estimate of the product's life. Bacteria aside, I think a product does begin to degrade over time; even powders. Textures, finishes, colors, fragrance, etc. all change with time. The only items I keep "forever" are my Météorites which I collect. Now, to your question about lipstick. Lipstick will usually last 1-2 years before it deteriorates. You can check out the link for the guidelines for other products.

http://beauty.about.com/od/makeuptrickstips/a/shelflife.htm

Ah, storage! I'm a very organized person with plenty of storage space in my bathroom which is where I apply my makeup. I have a separate drawer for each of the major makeup categories and within those drawers I further organize by color. In my adjoining dressing room I have a set of drawers where I keep the items and tools that are not in current use, organized in the same manner. There are as many different systems as there are people, but an item that I have found indispensable is a label maker. So many compacts and containers are indistinguishable from each other and so I make an easy to read label for each one. Many women do not have the type of drawer space that I have and so they invest in cabinets of various types. Christine at Temptalia and Iris at Rouge Deluxe have both done posts where they talk about how they organize and store their huge collections.

Charlestongirl said...

Many thanks to Eileen for answering questions while I've been in what feels like a fire drill trying to keep up with life.