Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Clarins Jolie Rouge Brilliant Perfect Shine Sheer Lipstick and Gloss Prodige Lip Gloss from the Rouge Eclat Collection forSpring 2013

There I was, browsing (slowly, for once) at Nordstrom, when the Clarins counter reached out and grabbed me with a light, bright, and very pretty display. New goodies in the Rouge Eclat Collection! After checking out everything, I came away with two lip colors - one lipstick and one gloss - both in a glorious sparkling rose shade.

The lipstick is Jolie Rouge Brilliant Perfect Shine Sheer Lipstick ($24.50) in Sweet Plum (#18). It's one of 15 new shades. The Gloss Prodige Lip Gloss ($20) is Vibrant Rose - one of two featured shades.

I have to tell you that I stood and strongly considered the Eye Quartet Mineral Palette below. The taupe shade at top left is drop-dead gorgeous. I wasn't sure I needed the other three. I'm still mulling that palette, though. I'll let you know if I go back for it.

The beautiful rose lip colors are cheerful and swimmingly shiny. I was surprised when I got them outside into the sunshine and found their colors remarkably similar. What a perfect pair!


I took my photos in full sun. It was really cold out that day. I'm surprised the goosebumps aren't prominent. My blood was flowing, trying to keep my body warm as I held my arm up to the sunshine. This is terrible, but I can't remember which swatch was which. I am pretty positive the lipstick is shown at the top of my arm, with the gloss below. The reason it's so hard to tell is that they are equally shiny and almost the same color. I do remember, though, that the second swatch (below) hit me in the face with a very strong fruity fragrance when I applied it with its sponge applicator.

Sweet Plum shows more plum in person, but I have to describe it as rose. The brilliant Vibrant Rose Lip Gloss is just that. It will make your lips sing. Worn together these two lip colors are dynamite.

Clarins makes makeup for adults. I don't understand why their lip glosses must be laden with flavor. It have it on my arm and lips as I write, and I just want it to go away. Experience tells me it will in about 20 minutes. My lips have a glorious, flattering, rose shine, but I taste like I'm chewing bubble gum. If you can handle that, you will love the new Gloss Prodige Lip Gloss. The lipstick isn't notably fragranced.

The Clarins Rouge Eclat Collection is at Clarins counters now. I do not see it at the Clarins Web site. I can't figure out why.

Eye palette photo courtesy of Chic Profile; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

14 comments:

Unknown said...

The eyeshadow quad has gorgeous colours.

Annick said...

I actually love the smell of their products, but I absolutely understand why people wouldn't want it on their face.

Both look exactly the same shade in the swatches - but I'd definitely go for the lipstick given a choice :)

Tammie said...

I had the same feelings about the eyeshadow quad. The taupe is amazing but the rest of the colors weren't doing it for me at all...

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Dollie,

It is totally gorgeous. I'll probably cave.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Annick,

I'm glad you like the fragrance.

They are so close in color, it's amazing.

Charlestongirl said...

That was my problem, Tammie, but on my skin, they looked pretty nice.

Ginny said...

Ha! I already snatched the lipstick (sweet plum) and lip gloss (vibrant rose) a couple weeks ago. And let me know they are super gorgeous colors! The colors are saturated and pigmented, very easy to wear for day and night. I think Clarins has recently come out with some really nice makeup products but seriously underrated!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ginny,

I agree - underrated. I also got mine a few weeks ago, but it took me so long to get a sunny day. Today? Gloomy.

Paula said...

The eyeshadow quad is beautiful. I could use all. The problem with Clarins is that it comes out later than other brands in Europe.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Paula,

That's too bad. I hope you don't have to wait long.

angusmum1 said...

I live in Canada and was looking for this collection yesterday but it is not yet in stores, at least in my area of Ontario. I have been using several Clarins products over the last year or two, skincare and some that are both cosmetic and skincare. They have really great things and usually prices arent too bad. Their facial oil is amazing!!!

VancouverChic said...

Oooooh the eyeshadow quad ... I've got the same color eyes as the model too. It looks like she has a rose gold in the corner of her eyes??? Where did that come from - it's not in the quad.
Did I miss a post of the swatches on this C-Girl or are you still debating on buying it? I wonder how sparkling they will be - not crazy about too much sparkle.
Love the violet against the green eyes - the color makes them pop!
Warm Regards,
Joanne
PS> Looking for it in Canada too!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi angusmum1,,

Clarins makes one of the best sunblocks for under makeup that's on the market.

Charlestongirl said...

Joanne, I don't want to buy it, and Clarins doesn't know I exist. I had asked for PR months ago, but they never send it.

If I can, I will go to the store and get swatch photos. I don't want to buy it for the one shade.