Wednesday, September 25, 2013

SEPHORA+PANTONE UNIVERSE Ombre Dual Lipstick Fire and Earth

Sephora's SEPHORA+PANTONE UNIVERSE Ombre Dual Lipstick Fire and Earth ($22) grabbed my attention when I was browsing Sephora recently. They are said to have been inspired by natural elements.

This deluxe, double-ended lipstick features a coordinated duo of glossy and shimmery formulas. Each color, texture, and finish is inspired by one of the four elements to create a harmonious lip look. The matte-shimmery shade (how can you have matte-shimmery, Sephora?) allows for a layer of velvety color with a sparkly finish while the glossy shade adds brilliant shine to highlight thge lips. The creamy, velvety texture glides easily onto lips so you can blend or layer shades for a multidimensional look.

Because I've been impressed with the "Pantone Universe" collection from the get-go, I decided to order one. Both looked nice, so I flipped a coin.

Here is what came: two not-full-sized lipsticks in a kludgy container that I had to figure out. Basically, you have to push on the opposite color you want (as indicated on the bottom) to push out the color you do want. It's a bit counterintuitive.

Here are the two shades in Carnelian/Deep Claret. They are meant to be used alone or blended. Naturally, I took swatch photos in full sun (late day in this case), swatching Carnelian at the top of my arm, Deep Claret below, and then the two shades mixed at the bottom.

It is terribly unlikely that I will wear Carnelian alone. Stranger things have happened, so time will tell.

Deep Claret is a pretty rose. The two shades combined provide the nicest option in my opinion. The lipsticks have a nice formula, feeling creamy and with normal wear time. They are formulated without parabens, sulfates, or phthalates.

All in all? I'm not displeased, but I wouldn't rave about them. The Fire and Earth lipsticks are limited editions and available only at Sephora.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

5 comments:

sunnlitt said...

I hear you 'not raving' and totally agree!!
Thanks for the review.

Nida Moughal said...

I like the swatch where both lipsticks are combined.

Meredith said...

This looks like a great idea, 3 lipsticks in one case. You could use the Carnelian for a nude-ish look along with lip pencil for depth and a bit of gold gloss in the center of your lips for summer. The combo of the two is a beautiful shade for Fall/Winter if you are in the mood for a warm shade. The rose shade is gorgeous, also great for Fall/Winter and you could apply a bit of Carnelian in the center over the top of either the rose or the combo to make the lips look fuller. Or you could use a bit of gold or pink gloss. Lots of looks and since this is so versatile, you could keep one in the car or one at your desk and never be without something proper to wear no matter what shade your outfit is.

Moonchime said...

The Deep Claret and the two shades combined are really beautiful. Thank you for your honest reviews.

Bonnie C. said...

I'm with you, I don't know that I'd ever wear the Carnelian by itself, maybe in combination with something else, but it really too orangey/muddy on its own. The other shade is nice though... Thanks for sharing and showing swatches! :-)