Sunday, May 1, 2016

Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Summer Glow Multi-Palette for Summer 2016

When I saw Estée Lauder's Bronze Goddess Summer Glow Multi-Palette ($50) online, it looked pretty. I see that it is now sold out on Estée Lauder's Web site. That doesn't mean the stores don't have it in stock. These Bronze Goddess items always sell quickly.

Here is how it is advertised...
Illuminate. Contour. Blush.
Radiant, sun-kissed color for face, cheeks, and eyes. Use each shade on its own to sculpt and define, or blend shades together for a natural-looking, all-over glow. Let the sun worship you.

Sounded good and looked good to me, but I'm not thrilled with it. There may be two reasons, and only time will tell if the powder is light on pigmentation or whether there was some kind of coating (not an overspray that's easy to break through) on the surface of the three shades that made it hard for me to pick up enough pigment, even with a sponge-tipped applicator. When I run my fingers over the shades, I can get decent color from the highlighter and blush. The contour (bronzer) is very light, but that's good for those with fair skin.

I took my photos in full, mid-day sunshine. I swatched from left to right as I moved down my arm. The shade at the top is the highlighter; the blush is in the middle, and the contour/bronzer is at the bottom in the photo below.

I worked to get even swatches. The highlighter shines like a beacon in full sun. The blush is a very light rose, a nice everyday shade. The bronzer is a tad muddy on my skin. I think I would want to blend the bronzer and blush together. I have not worn these shades yet, mostly because I had little time to experiment before I left for work last week. I fear that these shades will not have enough pigment when applied with a brush. I plan to try to rough up the diamond-like surfaces before I apply them with a brush. It may be the points of the design that are denying me good color payoff.

I'm surprised that 100% of nine reviewers on Estée Lauder's site recommended this product - actually gave it enthusiastic reviews. I can only give it a qualified recommendation. If I partially destroy the surface, I may end up enjoying the highlighter and blush. I doubt I'll wear the bronzer.

I'm sure that some Estée Lauder counters will still have the Glow Multi-Palette. Call first.

Photo at top courtesy of Estée Lauder; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

7 comments:

Eileen said...

Thank you for your honest opinion about this palette, Charlestongirl. I know in general you don't like to write negative reviews and are of the school of thought that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all, so when you express doubt about a product, I really sit up and take note. Initially I read some reviewers who lavished this palette with over-the-top praise but now I believe those reviews to have been sponsored in one way or another because the reviewers whom I trust for their honesty and integrity seem to have come to the same conclusions about it that you have--it's OK, but not great and there are some pigmentation and texture issues. Bottom line: This is not a dupe for TF's fabulous palette nor is it on par with EL's legendary gelée highlighter/bronzers from the past :-( Disappointment all around. I was so hoping for a gelée palette of rich summery colors.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I bought this too and had similar issues with pigmentation when applied to the face. The best results with this palette seem to come when using it with a stiff, not too fluffy brush. I'm sort of disappointed though!

Charlestongirl said...

Wondering if those who reviewed on the EL site were pandering for points, I read Temptalia's review this morning. Similar to mine.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I fear we have seen the last of those first-class gelée compacts. EL certainly has become a hit or miss company since Aerin's color took center stage. They went from matronly to exciting, and now they have reversed course again. Perhaps they are content to not compete with their many brands?

Sandra said...

Your unenthusiastic review says it all, CG! I was disappointed with the EL Bronze Goddess Gel Bronzer and returned it. I am going to stick with the TF and Guerlain Bronzers. They delivered everything you and your avid readers promised, and they make me feel lovely and glowingl

Lulubelle said...

I bought this palette hoping it would be the gelee formula, and am experiencing the same disappointment as you did. The highlighter is the star and the blush is okay, but the bronzer is lackluster at best. Even using a firm flat headed brush I find it difficult to build up color and get frustrated in the process.

Shannon said...

Same here! I've used it for a week and you can't even tell it's been touched....